Emergency Department Data Reporting Requirements
Texas Health Care Information Collection Center for Health Statistics
H.B.2641, of the 84th Texas Legislative Session amended Title 4, Civil Practice and Remedies Code to add:
Sec. 74A.002. LIMITATION ON LIABILITY OF HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS RELATING TO HEALTH INFORMATION EXCHANGES. (a) Unless the health care provider acts with malice or gross negligence, a health care provider who provides patient information to a health information exchange is not liable for any damages, penalties, or other relief related to the obtainment, use, or disclosure of that information in violation of federal or state privacy laws by a health information exchange, another health care provider, or any other person.
- Contact Update Form, Update facility/contact information with THCIC. (PDF format, 337 KB)
- No Quarterly Data to Report Form, for notifying THCIC there were no claims for a specific reporting period. (PDF format, 337 KB)
Who Must Report
All emergency medical care facilities and departments in operation in the State of Texas are required to report all patient emergency medical care visits.
- Current Facility Contact Information (Excel format, 208 KB), with names and addresses, county, CEO, primary and alternate THCIC contacts, reporting status, and facility type, as of August 9, 2023. View a map on the Texas Association of Counties website (PDF format, 3 MB) of hospital locations.
What To Report
All Freestanding Emergency Medical Care Facilities, including those hospital-owned emergency medical care facilities that are separate from the home base hospital, are required to submit all claims for emergency medical care visits.
The Technical Specifications manual is intended for the hospital, ambulatory surgery center, and emergency department center IT staff or software vendor that will create the electronic data extraction for reporting and correcting data. The Appendices include information that may be useful in the submission of outpatient and emergency department data.
- THCIC Outpatient 5010 Technical Specifications, version 11.2 revised February 8, 2023 (PDF, 2.19 MB)
- 5010 Inpatient and Outpatient Appendices, Version 4.7 contains default codes, payer source codes, audit list, race/ethnicity documents, and other helpful information, updated September 14, 2023 (PDF, 877 KB)
- Reporting Schedule, includes dates for the reporting, correction, and certification of data.
Data Submission - Electronic
- Submitter and Provider Enrollment Guide, November 6, 2014 (PDF, 549 KB)
- Enrollment Form for a Submitter ID, needed for electronic file submission.
- Submitter Contact Update Form Update submitter contact information with System13.
- Electronic File Submission - Testing and Production Status Information, (PDF Format, 152 KB)
- Submitting/Uploading Files, Training presentation on uploading electronic files into the THCIC system, (PDF Format, 1.77 MB)
Data Submission - Manual Data Entry
- Claim Entry, presentation for manual data entry of outpatient claims via THCIC system, (PDF Format, 13.1 MB)
- Outpatient Reports, Training presentation on downloading reports on data currently in the THCIC system, (PDF Format 1.77 MB)
Facilities are responsible for correcting errors found in data files submitted to THCIC.
- Claim Correction, Training presentation for data correction via THCIC system, (PDF Format, 11.3 MB)
Facilities are required to certify each quarterly dataset as being complete and accurate.
- Outpatient Certification, Training presentation for data certification via THCIC system, (PDF Format, 5.41 MB)
System13 Support Videos
- Videos to assist in the submission, correction, and certification of data.
- Contact System13 Help Desk at 1-888-308-4953 or email@example.com for help with electronic data submission problems, system login problems, changing a Submitter contact, or other help topics. If there is no representative available to assist, a message may be left for a return call. Assistance is available Monday through Friday 8 AM to 5 PM central standard time. System13 adheres to the Texas state-observed holidays.
- Contact THCIC by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with Claim Entry, Claim Correction, and Certification.
- Online training is available to Submitters and Providers. View the schedule.
- Numbered Letters, a regular publication to keep all facilities informed of the discharge data collection process.
- Information on the data collection process was presented to the Texas Ambulatory Surgery Center Society at its 2nd Annual "State of the State" Agencies Conference on February 2, 2009. (PowerPoint presentation, 3.3 MB)
If you have suggestions or comments, please submit them to THCIC.
External links to other sites are intended to be informational and do not have the endorsement of the Texas Department of State Health Services. These sites may also not be accessible to people with disabilities.