Health, Social, Education, and Genetic History Records
In 1984, Texas started collecting Health, Social, Education, and Genetic History (HSEGH) information on birth families if the child was being privately placed without the aid of an agency. Adult adoptees, adoptive parents, and other qualified persons may obtain de-identified information from these reports.
The process for requesting HSEGH records varies, depending on whether the adoption occurred via an existing child-placing agency:
- For adoptions that occurred through an existing child-placing agency, the agency is responsible for issuing nonidentifying information from the HSEGH and other records concerning the birth family. Contact that agency for more information.
- If the adoption was a non-relative private adoption or occurred through an adoption agency that is now closed, the adoptive parents or adult adoptee can submit a Central Adoption Registry Request for Open Records form to VS. Once received, VS will return any available de-identified HSEGH information.
On all non-relative private adoptions when no adoption agency is involved, attorneys shall submit* to Vital Statistics (VS) an HSEGH report and its addendum prior to consummation of the adoption. This report is certified by VS and the certification of receipt is sent to the attorney as evidence that the report has been filed. This report may be waived by the court.
The following formsare required:
- HSEGH Form – to be completed by an attorney
- HSEGH Addendum –to be completed by the birth parents
- Information Cover Sheet – to be completed by the attorney and submitted to VS as a coversheet.
After the birth parents have filled out the reports and submitted them back to the attorney, the attorney will mail them to the following address along with documentation that allows VSU to index the report. No fee is required.
Years after the adoption, the birth family may wish to provide updated HSEGH information relevant to the health and well-being of the adoptee. The process varies depending on whether the adoption occurred via an existing child-placing agency:
- If the adoption occurred through an existing child-placing agency, the birth family must contact that agency.
- If the adoption was a non-relative private adoption or occurred through an adoption agency that is now closed, the family can submit a HSEGH Addendum to VS. Once received, VS will attempt to locate the adoptive parents or adult adoptee and inform them of the information.