Requesting Sealed Adoption Records
Adoption records are sealed by the court after an adoption has been granted and no identifying information about the biological family can be released without a court order.
- Complete the application, with no cross outs, no white out, and no correction tape;
- Include a $10.00 check or money order payable to DSHS; and
- Identify the name of each parent listed on original birth certificate;
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Submit a copy of a valid government-issued photo ID; and
- The court order must order Vital Statistics (VS) to release the records, indicate what records they are ordering to be released, and the name of the person who the records are to be released to.
Complete the Court Ordered Open Sealed File application and mail it along with a copy of a valid government issued photo ID, a $10.00 check or money order payable to DSHS Vital Statistics, and a certified copy of the finalized court order to:
Texas Department of State Health Services
P.O. Box 12040
Austin, TX 78711-2040
If you do not know which court granted the adoption or if the court is unable to locate the cause number, you can submit a Request for Identity of Court of Adoption to VS.