Central Adoption Registry

The Vital Statistics (VS) Central Adoption Registry (CAR) provides a way for adult adoptees, birth parents, and biological siblings to locate one another without having to go through the court system or other sources.

Qualified applicants can apply to the CAR and/or with the child-placing agency, if the agency operates its own registry

Registry participation is voluntary and an adult adoptee and/or birth relative have the right to refuse to participate in any registry.

For more information, email VSSAdoptionRegistry@dshs.texas.gov.

Who is eligible?

CAR is open to the following persons who are 18 years or older:

  • Adoptees (born and/or adopted in Texas)
  • Birth parents
  • Biological siblings of adult adoptees

How It Works

Matches are made when two or more parties (an adoptee and their biological parent(s) and/or biological siblings) have both added their information to the registry.

The registry releases identifying information after the participants in the match complete the following:

  1. A Consent to Release of Identifying information document* that specifies the identifying information the participant wishes to release to the adoptee or birth relative.
  2. A one-hour post-adoption counseling session that educates and prepares each for the reunion.
  3. A written biography or history about the participant's life with copies of photographs or other visual media. VS sends the biography to the other participant at the same time the identifying information is exchanged.

*Document will be sent out once a match is made.

How to Register

To get your name added to the registry, you must:*

  • Meet eligibility requirements;
  • Complete the Registration Application, with no cross outs, no white out, and no correction tape;
  • Provide copy of government-issued photo ID;
  • Include a $30.00 check or money order payable to DSHS; and
  • If your name has changed:
    • Due to marriage, include copy of legal document that has maiden name listed (birth or marriage certificate); or
    • Due to legal name change, include a certified copy of the court order verifying the name change.

  *Biological siblings must also provide a copy of your birth certificate to verify the relationship.