Newborn Screening - Healthcare Provider Resources
About the Newborn Screening Laboratory
- Disorders in the Newborn Screening Panel (updated 07/08/21)
- Newborn Screening Disorders Screened by Time Criticality (updated 01/30/2023)
- Newborn DNA Analysis Laboratory
- The Evolution of Newborn Screening in Texas (updated 08/10/2023)
- Newborn Screening Specimen Timeline in the Laboratory
- Submitter Identification Number Request/Update Form
- Request an account to submit specimens
- Update your account information.
- Order Form for Newborn Screening Supplies
- General Specimen Collection Requirements
- Timely Collection and Submission of NBS
- Specimen Collection – Special Circumstances
- Specimen Collection Training Video, "New"
- Unsatisfactory Specimens: Examples and Tips to Avoid
- Request FREE Specimen Collection Educational Materials
- Spotfocus: Newborn Screening Quality Improvement Hints
Use and Storage of Newborn Screening Blood Spot Cards
- What Happens to the Blood Spot Cards after Testing is Complete?
- Healthcare providers MUST distribute a form to the parents upon collection of each newborn screening specimen.
- List of all possible NBS results, analytes and notes
- Result Report Examples – Normal Report | Abnormal Report | Unsatisfactory Report
Remote Data Systems
- For account sign-up forms and additional information, visit the Remote Data Systems Home page.
- Remote Services Specimen Acceptability and Handling Rules for electronically submitted newborn screening specimen demographic information.
- Updates to the Newborn Screening Web Application as of 3/05/2023
Facility Report Cards
The Newborn Screening Report Card provides a monthly report on your facility’s NBS submissions; including number of specimens submitted and specific information on specimen quality and demographic issues. Refer to the Guide to the Newborn Screening Report Card for more information on each category.
Access to the report allows the facility to:
- Identify strengths and opportunities for improvement.
- Compare your facility’s performance with others in the state.
To access your facility’s report card, you must be a registered user of the Texas Newborn Screening Web Application (Neometrics). If you are not already a registered user, you can sign up here.
Education and Training Resources
- Newborn Screening Educational Videos
- Request FREE Parent and Provider Educational Materials
- Newborn Screening Disorders ACTion and FACT Sheets
- Texas Health Steps (THSteps) NBS Module - Online Provider Education
To access the newborn screening module: From the Provider Education Homepage, select "Available Courses" and follow the newborn screening link.