NORM (Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material) Licensing

Agencies Regulating NORM

There are three agencies responsible for regulating different aspects of NORM in Texas:

  1. The Texas Department of State Health Services, Radiation Control Program, Radiation Safety Licensing Branch (DSHS) regulates receipt, possession, storage, use and treatment of NORM under 25 Texas Administrative Code §289.259 - Licensing of Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material.
  1. The Railroad Commission of Texas regulates the activities associated with disposal of oil and gas NORM waste under 16 Texas Administrative Code, Part 1, Chapter 4, Subchapter F - Oil and Gas NORM.
  1. The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) regulates disposal of NORM, except oil and gas NORM. Their rules are currently in the developmental stage.

You are required to have a specific radioactive materials license to deliberately decontaminate buildings, structures, equipment, or land contaminated with NORM in excess of the levels in 25 TAC §289.259(w).

Refer to “New License” for how to apply for a radioactive material license.

NORM Contacts

Contact us with questions regarding NORM Licensing.

NORM Licensing Questions
Email: Shawn Garza
Phone: 512-834-4588

NORM Compliance and Inspections Question
Email: Eric Skotak
Phone: 512- 834-6676