THMP – Medication Advisory Committee
Texas began distributing HIV medications in late 1987 as temporary pilot program; the THMP was officially established in 1989 in Senate Bill 959. The statute that created the HIV Medication Advisory Committee is found in Texas Health & Safety Code, Chapter 85, Subchapter K, Sections 85.271 through 85.282. Rules related to this Committee may be found in Texas Administrative Code, Title 25, Part 1, Chapter 98, Subchapter C, Division 2, Rule 98.121. Committee members are appointed by the executive commissioner of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission.
Stay informed about the committee by subscribing to the THMP News bulletin.
Date and Time: January 12, 2024 at 1:30pm
Location: Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS), Robert D. Moreton Building, Room M-100, 1100 W 49th Street, Austin, TX 78756
This meeting will be webcast. Members of the public may attend the meeting in person at the address above or access a live stream of the meeting at texashhsmeetings.org/HHSWebcast. Select the tab for the Moreton M-100 Live on the date and time for this meeting. Please e-mail Webcasting@hhsc.state.tx.us if you have any problems with the webcasting function.
This meeting will also be conducted via videoconference call in accordance with the requirements of Section 551.127, Government Code. The member of the Committee presiding over the meeting will be physically present at the location specified above.
Attendees who would like to provide public comment should see the Public Comment section below.
- Call to order, welcome, logistical announcements, and opening remarks
- Consideration of July 14, 2023, draft meeting minutes
- Public comment
- DSHS updates
- Agency update
- HIV organizational update
- Budget report
- Texas HIV Medication Program (THMP) updates
- Participating pharmacies and pharmacies shipments
- Projections and demographic information
- Application processing
- Sub-Committee reports and recommendations
- Review of action items and agenda topics for next meeting
The committee may take any action on any agenda item.
Public Comment: DSHS welcomes public comments pertaining to topics related to the Texas HIV Medication Program. Members of the public who would like to provide public comment may choose from the following options:
- Oral comments provided virtually: Members of the public must pre-register to provide oral comments virtually during the meeting by completing a Public Comment Registration form at texashhsmeetings.org/THMP-MAC_PCReg_Jan2024 no later than 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, January 10, 2024. Please mark the correct box on the Public Comment Registration form and provide your name, either the organization you are representing or that you are speaking as a private citizen, and your direct phone number. If you have completed the Public Comment Registration form, you will receive an email the day before the meeting with instructions for providing virtual public comment. Public comment is limited to three minutes. Each speaker providing oral public comments virtually must ensure their face is visible and their voice audible to the other participants while they are speaking. Each speaker must state their name and on whose behalf they are speaking (if anyone). If you pre-register to speak and wish to provide a handout before the meeting, please submit an electronic copy in accessible PDF format that will be distributed by HHS staff to THMP-MAC members and State staff. Handouts are limited to two pages (paper size: 8.5” by 11”, one side only). Handouts must be emailed to Jasmine.King@dshs.texas.gov immediately after pre-registering, but no later than 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, January 10, 2024, and include the name of the person who will be commenting. Do not include health or other confidential information in your comments or handouts. Staff will not read handouts aloud during the meeting, but handouts will be provided to THMP-MAC members and State staff.
- Written comments: Members of the public may provide written public comments by completing a Public Comment Registration form at texashhsmeetings.org/THMP-MAC_PCReg_Jan2024. A member of the public who wishes to provide written public comments must email the comments to Jasmine.King@dshs.texas.gov no later than 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, January 10, 2024. Please include your name and the organization you are representing or that you are speaking as a private citizen. Written comments must be emailed to DSHS immediately after pre-registering and include the name of the person who will be commenting. Written comments are limited to two pages (paper size: 8.5” by 11”, one side only). Do not include health or other confidential information in your comments. Staff will not read written comments aloud during the meeting, but comments will be provided to THMP-MAC members and State staff.
- Oral comments provided in-person at the meeting location: Members of the public may provide oral public comment during the meeting in person at the meeting location either by pre-registering using the form above or without pre-registering by completing a form at the entrance to the meeting room. Do not include health or other confidential information in your comments.
Note: These procedures may be revised at the discretion of HHSC.
Contact: Questions regarding agenda items, content, or meeting arrangements should be directed to Jasmine King, Program Specialist, HIV Medications, DSHS, at Jasmine.King@dshs.texas.gov or via phone at 1-800-255-1090.
This meeting is open to the public. No reservations are required, and there is no cost to attend this meeting.
People with disabilities who wish to attend the meeting and require assistive technology or services should contact Jasmine King at Jasmine.King@dshs.texas.gov, or 800-255-1090 at least 72 hours prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made.
Current THMP Medication Advisory Committee Members
Frank Rosas – Acting Committee Chair
Gloria Heresi, M.D.
Susana Lazarte, M.D.
Nancy P. Miertschin, M.P.H.
Meeting minutes are made available upon final approval by the Committee members after their next meeting. A Committee member quorum is required in order to approve the minutes at each meeting. Minutes from previous THMP Advisory Committee meetings are available upon request.
Learn more about the THMP Medication Advisory Committee: Mary Richards 800-255-1090