Open Records Requests
Inquiries for Programs
When submitting an inquiry for a program, be as specific as possible in your request and include a timeframe when appropriate. For example: "How do I apply for an EMS scholarship with DSHS?"
Requesting Records under the Public Information Act, Texas Government Code, Chapter 552
The Department of State Health Services is committed to providing full access to public information. To request records under the Texas Public Information Act:
- Submit a request in writing via U.S. Mail, fax or email.
- Include contact information and a clear description of the records you are requesting.
- Send your request to:
DSHS Public Information Coordinator
1100 West 49th Street
Austin, Texas 78756-3101
You will be notified in writing if there are costs associated with filling your records request. The Office of the Attorney General sets what a state agency may charge for information. For questions about the Public Information Act, please consult the website of the Texas Office of Attorney General, Open Records Division.
Tips for Open Records Requests
- Your request must be in writing. Only written requests trigger a governmental body's obligations under the Public Information Act.
- Your request should be for documents or other information that already is in existence. Governmental bodies are not required to answer questions, perform legal research, or comply with a request to supply information on a periodic basis for information that will be prepared in the future.
- Be as specific as possible in your request and include a timeframe when appropriate. For example: "I am seeking the number of licensed EMTs in each fiscal year from 2012 through 2014."
- Open Records Requests made by fax must be addressed to the Public Information Coordinator to trigger an obligation under the Public Information Act.
- If you believe that we have not responded as required by the Public Information Act, you may contact the Attorney General’s Open Records Division Hotline at 512-478-6736 or toll-free 1-877-673-6839.
Members of the News Media
Members of the news media may contact the DSHS Press Office to make an open records request.
Rosters are provided for informational purposes only and are updated monthly. You can verify the current status of a license using our live online search.
|Designated Maternal Centers|
|Designated Neonatal Centers|
|Designated Stroke Centers|
|Designated Trauma Cente|
Emergency Medical Services