EMS Education Programs
EMS JURISPRUDENCE EXAM:
All EMS personnel (ECA, EMT, AEMT, EMTP, and licensed paramedic) renewal applicants must complete an EMS jurisprudence examination approved by the department before submitting a renewal application. An EMS jurisprudence examination is a CE course covering information about Texas EMS laws and rules.
The EMS jurisprudence examination is offered by department approved continuing education (CE) programs. If you are employed or volunteer with an EMS talk to your administrator or director, they may direct you to a CE program or for a list of CE programs offering the EMS jurisprudence examination can be found below under Jurisprudence Exam Material.
Rules and Policies
Links to Texas Administrative Code Pages
- Texas Administrative Code 157.32, EMS Education and Course Approval
- Texas Administrative Code 157.38, Continuing Education
- Texas Administrative Code 157.43, Course Coordinator Certification
- Texas Administrative Code 157.44, EMS Instructor Certification
- Texas Administrative Code 157.49, EMS Operator and Operator Instructor Training and Certification
Forms and Documents
Coordinator / Instructor
- Information can be found on the EMS Coordinator-Instructor certification page.
- Course Notification Checklist
- Notification / Change Form
- Under 18 - Update May 14, 2021
- The NREMT has removed their age requirement for testing and certification.
- Students under 18 completing a course can apply with the national registry and will no longer need to be listed on the ECA/EMT course completion roster.
- An assessment exam is not required,
- Once NREMT certification is received, you may apply with Texas.?
- In accordance with Texas Administrative Code Title 25, Part 1, Chapter 157, Rule 157.33, students may need to wait until they turn 18 or graduate to avoid a delay in processing their EMS certification with Texas and meet the additional requirements.
Initial Education Programs
- Initial Application Checklist
- Renewal Application Checklist
- Notification / Change Form
- EMS Education Program Agreement List
- EMS Education Programs Self-Study Guide (Template)
Continuing Education Programs
Jurisprudence Exam Material
EMS Education Manual and Skill sheets
Interim Skill Sheets
- Bleeding Control/Shock Management
- BVM Ventilation with Adjunct of Apneic Adult, Child, and Infant Patient
- Cardiac Arrest Management / AED
- Medication Administration Bronchodilator Administration - Small Volume Nebulizer
- Medication Administration Epinephrine - Epi Pen or IM Administration
- Patient Assessment/Management – Medical Evaluation
- Patient Assessment/Management – Trauma Evaluation
Skills Criteria and Score Sheets
- Skills Criteria and Score Sheets Basic Levels-This document is not copyrighted
- Skills Criteria and Score Sheets Advanced Levels-This document is not copyrighted
Program and Course Fee Information
NREMT National Continued Competency Program (NCCP)
The NCCP model streamlines the CE recertification process into three strategic categories of continuing education: National, Local, and Individual.
NREMT Transition Course Information
- Request to offer a DSHS approved National Registry of EMT Transition Course(s) (PDF 534 KB)
- NREMT Transition Policy
NREMT Portfolio & Scenario Exam Information
NREMT Information/ Pass Rates / NREMT Representative Contact Information
National Education Standards and Instructional Guidelines
Current release of National Education Standards and Instructional Guidelines all levels.
Note - On August 16, 2012, DSHS adopted the use of the National EMS Education Standards and Instructional Guidelines replacing the use of DOT National Standard Curriculum. Remember, Texas ECA courses use the EMR Standards/Guidelines with additional requirements in EMS rule; Texas Intermediate courses use the AEMT Standards/Guidelines with additional requirements in EMS rule.
CAAHEP/CoAEMSP and Paramedic Program Accreditation Information
- CAAHEP Accreditation Workshops
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
- Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions CoAEMSP
Disability Accommodation Information
- Disability Accommodation Request-If you are taking the National Registry (NR) exam, you must make an accommodation request to the NR office: www.nremt.org
- To ensure a timely response to your education questions and needs please contact your DSHS Regional office at the numbers listed below:
North Unit: 817-264-4720
Central Unit: 512-834-6700
South Unit: 210-949-2050
East Unit: 713-767-3331
- For help with EMS education programs and course approvals contact the EMS Education Unit at EMSEducation@dshs.texas.gov
- For help with EMS Instructor, Coordinator and Information Operator certifications contact the EMS Certification Unit at EMSCert@dshs.texas.gov.