In 2013, House Bill 15 was passed during the 83rd Legislature, Regular Session. The purpose of the bill was to develop initial rules for level of care designations for hospitals that provide maternal services. The hospital level of care designations for maternal care rules went into effect on March 1, 2018.
The Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) has the authority to designate facilities. The EMS/Trauma Systems Section of DSHS works with hospitals, Perinatal Care Regions (PCRs) and the Perinatal Advisory Council (PAC) to:
- Improve maternal patient care and outcomes,
- Develop hospital requirements for facility designation, and
- Establish regional coordination of maternal care.
Maternal Levels of Care Development
- Perinatal Advisory Council (PAC)
Created by House Bill 15 of the 83rd Texas Legislature (Regular Session), the PAC examines utilization trends in neonatal and maternal care and recommends ways to improve neonatal and maternal outcomes.
Maternal Levels of Care Designation
- Applications and Forms
The non-refundable maternal application fees for a three-year designation period are as follows:
- Level I maternal facility application fees are as follows:
- <=100 licensed beds fee is $250.00; or
- >100 licensed beds fee is $750.00.
- Level II maternal facility application fee is $1,500.00.
- Level III maternal facility application fee is $2,000.00.
- Level IV maternal facility application fee is $2,500.00.
- Comparison Document for Maternal Levels II, III, and IV Requirements
- DSHS Virtual Survey Guidelines
- National Pediatric Readiness Quality Initiative - How Your ED Can Make a Difference in Pediatric Emergency Care
The following tools may be used to evaluate your facility's compliance according to the Maternal Level of Care you are seeking.
- Level I Maternal – Self-Assessment
- Level II Maternal – Self-Assessment
- Level III Maternal – Self-Assessment
- Level IV Maternal – Self-Assessment
- Obstetric Care Consensus
Provider training webinars: Recordings of the training are listed below. Each link will take you to a page where you must enter your name and email address to access the video.
- Level I Designation – March 22, 2018
- Level II Designation – March 27, 2018
- Level III Designation – March 28, 2018
- Level IV Designation – March 29, 2018
PowerPoint presentations from webinars: